Sunday 25 August 2013

The Film CLUELESS and lessons learnt from Cher Horowitz


Remember Clueless? Sure you do! It is one of my favourite films and looking back at it now, I realise how witty and hilarious it is compared to when I was 11 and dragged my mum to see it. To this day she thinks it's ''the most stupid film ever'' but to me, it's part of my childhood. As I was watching it a few days ago, I realised there were little life enhancing tips to apply to thine self from Cher Horowitz.



''Why should I listen to you, anyway? You’re a virgin who can’t drive''

Get a drivers license. You might say you prefer to walk, take public transport or say that it's more environmentally friendly not to be polluting the streets with these gas guzzlers but I'm not saying you have to buy a car, only that you need a license. Having a license makes you more employable and shows you are willing to learn new skills and travel for work opportunities plus nowadays many positions require you to have a drivers license. Sure it's a little expensive but it's an investment for your future. Plus there is nothing better than exploring the world and having the freedom and control to go anywhere you want with a car.


''I decided I needed a complete makeover except this time, I'd make-over my soul''

Remember when Cher was all mopey, walking around Beverley Hills and realised she liked Josh. She also realised she needed to make over her soul and did a charitable act helping out with the Pismo Beach disaster and de-cluttered her house.
Sometimes you need to regain harmony and control of yourself and get grounded. Try de-cluttering your house, get rid of items you have never used in the last two years. Objects have a habit of attaching to energy, so if anything holds bad memories, ditch it. Give things away to the charity shops or sell them online. It is amazing how many items you do not actually need but if something holds sentimental value, keep it.

Try and do a charitable act weekly, although not new, 'Suspended Coffee' is a great idea in which you buy yourself a coffee and one for another so it remains in 'suspense' for someone who is less fortunate and may not be able to afford a drink. If you don't trust leaving this with the coffee house, how about you buy a coffee for the person behind you or buy a drink for a 'random' person in the store. Look at how you can be more charitable in your local community and pay it forward. Self improvement starts with yourself to change the world around you.


''You mean to tell me that you argued your way from a C- to an A+''

No doubting Cher had powers of persuasion and brilliant selling techniques. Like it or not, we are all in sales now, whether it be in a car forecourt or sending off your CV to a potential employee. I have read numerous books on selling and the little psychological tactics that can influence other. Below is a list of books that I regularly dip into for nougats of information and these have some fascinating insights into the human brain. It is worth seeing what works for you and how you can adapt it to the industry you are in.




     



 
''Cher, I don’t want to do this anymore. And my buns, they don’t feel nothin’ like steel''

Cher said each week she would read a non schoolbook and exercise every day to take care of her mind and body The physical benefits of exercise are established. It improves physical condition and maintains mental fitness, reducing stress, anxiety and can add years to your life. Why not do some aerobic activity or go for a brisk walk for 15 minutes a day. I know how happy and refreshed I feel after exercise and what's 15 minutes out of a whole day? By doing it everyday it gets easier not just when you do it 'sporadically'

Reading a new book weekly makes a lot of sense especially for those looking to advance in their chosen profession or if you to want learn something completely new. It will put you ahead of others and increase your knowledge of your chosen subject matter.
To read a little quicker...learn about speed reading. One thing I found helpful is placing a finger under the sentence you are reading and moving it along. It makes me read the sentences quicker than without doing so. Try and see for yourself.

It is said that Harrison Ford learnt all he knew about Carpentry from books and as soon as he put those skills into practice, he became a well known carpenter with a great reputation in LA and all without any formal training. He worked in George Lucas' house and as they say, the rest is history.

So thank you Cher Horowitz...'I'm outtie' x 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Caked Designs